Web Hosting Types of Services
Shared hosting is a type of web hosting where multiple websites share the same physical server and resources such as RAM, CPU, and storage. This is the most cost-effective hosting solution and is suitable for small websites, blogs, and businesses with low to moderate traffic levels.
WordPress hosting is a type of web hosting specifically designed for WordPress websites. These hosting plans offer optimized performance, security, and support for WordPress sites. They often include automatic updates, backups, and caching solutions to ensure the best possible performance and uptime.
Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting is a type of hosting where websites are hosted on a virtual server, which is created using virtualization technology. Each VPS acts as an independent server with its own dedicated resources such as RAM, CPU, and storage. VPS hosting offers more control, scalability, and performance compared to shared hosting, making it suitable for growing businesses and websites with higher traffic levels.
Dedicated hosting is a type of web hosting where a client leases an entire physical server exclusively for their website. This means that the website has full access to all the server's resources, providing the highest level of performance, security, and control. Dedicated hosting is suitable for large businesses and high-traffic websites with demanding performance requirements.
Some web hosting providers offer additional services such as:
- Website Builders: Drag-and-drop tools that allow users to create a website without any coding knowledge.
- WooCommerce Hosting: Hosting plans optimized for eCommerce websites using the WooCommerce plugin for WordPress.
- Reseller Hosting: Hosting plans that allow users to sell hosting services to their own clients under their own brand name.
- Cloud Hosting: A type of hosting that uses a network of virtual servers to provide scalable, flexible, and reliable hosting resources.
- CDN & Security: Services that improve website performance and security, such as content delivery networks (CDNs) and SSL certificates.
- Domain Registration: Services that allow users to register and manage domain names for their websites.
Cloud Service Provider
Cloud service providers (CSPs) are companies that offer a range of computing services over the internet. These services are broadly divided into three categories: Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS).
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS): This is the most basic category of cloud services. With IaaS, you rent IT infrastructure—servers, virtual machines (VMs), storage, networks, and operating systems—from a cloud provider on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS): PaaS is designed to support the complete web application lifecycle: building, testing, deploying, managing, and updating. This is a complete development and deployment environment in the cloud, with resources that enable you to deliver everything from simple cloud-based apps to sophisticated, cloud-enabled enterprise applications.
- Software as a Service (SaaS): SaaS is a method for delivering software applications over the Internet, on demand and typically on a subscription basis. Cloud providers host and manage the software application and underlying infrastructure, and handle any maintenance, like software upgrades and security patching.
Some of the major cloud service providers as 2021 include:
· Amazon Web Services (AWS): Offers a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and deployment services that help organizations move faster, lower IT costs, and scale applications.
· Microsoft Azure: A growing collection of integrated cloud services that developers and IT professionals use to build, deploy, and manage applications through Microsoft's global network of datacenters.
· Google Cloud Platform: Provides a series of modular cloud services including computing, data storage, data analytics and machine learning, and networking.
· IBM Cloud: Offers a wide range of cloud services including IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS through all delivery models including public, private, and hybrid cloud.
· Oracle Cloud: Offers IaaS, PaaS, SaaS, and Data as a Service (DaaS) with a range of functionalities for analytics, management, integration, security, artificial intelligence (AI), and blockchain.
Remember that each cloud service provider has its unique strengths and weaknesses that might make them a better fit for certain use cases or organizational needs.
Web Hosting Matrix
Some of the hosting providers as of 2021 include:
|Provider||Shared Hosting||WordPress Hosting||VPS Hosting||Dedicated Hosting||Other Services|
|Bluehost||$2.95 - $13.95/mo||$2.95 - $5.45/mo||$18.99 - $59.99/mo||$79.99 - $119.99/mo||-|
|SiteGround||$6.99 - $14.99/mo||$6.99 - $14.99/mo||-||-||WooCommerce: $6.99 - $14.99/mo|
Cloud: $80 - $240/mo
|HostGator||$2.75 - $5.95/mo||$5.95 - $9.95/mo||$19.95 - $39.95/mo||$89.98 - $139.99/mo||-|
|InMotion Hosting||$2.49 - $12.99/mo||$6.99 - $105.69/mo||$17.99 - $69.34/mo||$99.99 - $539.99/mo||-|
|A2 Hosting||$2.99 - $14.99/mo||$2.99 - $14.99/mo||$6.59 - $65.99/mo||$99.59 - $248.99/mo||-|
|GreenGeeks||$2.49 - $11.95/mo||$2.49 - $11.95/mo||$39.95 - $109.95/mo||-||Reseller: $19.95 - $34.95/mo|
|DreamHost||$2.59 - $4.95/mo||$2.59 - $16.95/mo||$10.00 - $80.00/mo||$149.00 - $379.00/mo||-|
|Hostinger||$0.99 - $3.99/mo||$1.99 - $11.59/mo||$3.95 - $38.99/mo||-||Cloud: $9.99 - $69.99/mo|
|Cloudflare||-||-||-||-||CDN & Security: Varies|
Domain Registration: Varies
|WP Engine||-||$25 - $258/mo||-||-||-|
|GoDaddy||$5.99 - $19.99/mo||$6.99 - $15.99/mo||$4.99 - $69.99/mo||$129.99 - $399.99/mo||-|
|Liquid Web||-||$19 - $999/mo||$15 - $95/mo||$199 - $599/mo||Managed WooCommerce: $19 - $999/mo|
|Squarespace||-||-||-||-||Website Builder: $12 - $40/mo|
|Wix||-||-||-||-||Website Builder: Free - $39/mo|
|Namecheap||$1.58 - $4.80/mo||$3.88 - $11.88/mo||$8.88 - $48.88/mo||$56.88 - $172.88/mo||-|
|FastComet||$3.48 - $9.58/mo||$3.48 - $9.58/mo||$47.95 - $111.95/mo||$139 - $349/mo||-|
Cloud Service Providers
|Provider||Compute Services||Storage Services||Database Services||Other Services||Price Range|
|Microsoft Azure||Virtual Machines, App Services, Functions||Blob Storage, File Storage, Disk Storage||Azure SQL Database, Cosmos DB, MySQL, PostgreSQL||CDN, Security, AI & Machine Learning, Networking, Analytics, IoT||Varies (pay-as-you-go, free tier available)|
|Google Cloud||Compute Engine, App Engine, Cloud Functions||Cloud Storage, Persistent Disk, Filestore||Cloud SQL, Cloud Spanner, Firestore, Bigtable||CDN, Security, AI & Machine Learning, Networking, Analytics, IoT||Varies (pay-as-you-go, free tier available)|
|Amazon Web Services (AWS)||EC2, Lambda, Elastic Beanstalk||S3, EBS, EFS||RDS, DynamoDB, Aurora, ElastiCache||CDN, Security, AI & Machine Learning, Networking, Analytics, IoT||Varies (pay-as-you-go, free tier available)|